Retailmenot has just announced its official launch into Canada with it’s Retailmenot.ca site. As we have previously written, entry into Canada by large digital Coupon sites like Retailmenot will fundamentally impact the Canadian Coupon landscape by making the sector far more effective, aggressive and competitive. Simply put, Retailmenot’s entry in Canada will help grow the industry across the country. We see impact in the following areas:
- They will aid in convincing more Canadian retails to offer digital coupons. This is desperately needed.
- They will impact the way coupon networks (Commision Junction, Linkshare, Avanlink, etc) provide their service to Canadian coupon publishers
- They will invest in marketing their service to Canadian consumers. Thus, making Canadian consumers more aware of deals, promotions, coupons.
- They will impact redemption at Big Box stores like Target, Best Buy, Gap, etc. As well as smaller online retailers. This will lead to more digital coupon marketing across Canada by the retail sector and of course, more coupons being available overall for Canadians.
- This will impact coupon data being available for Canada. Right now, there isn’t much.
Retailmenot’s entrance into Canada is a very positive step for the industry.
One of the main questions, however, I have for all companies expanding into Canada, including Retailmenot is this: when will you have a service that will also cater to the 20% of the Canadian population that happen to redeem and use coupons at a larger rate than other Canadians? I am talking about Quebec and therefore making any service available in French. Ah, but it is not as easy as simply translating a site. Offering a substantial couponing service in French is not trivial. Look for an upcoming post on this issue.
For now, we congratulate Retailmenot on their entrance into Canada. The digital couponing market is growing well in Canada and Retailmenot’s entrance will help accelerate it.
Here is their full Press Release.
AUSTIN, Texas, June 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ — RetailMeNot, Inc. (www.retailmenot.com/corp/), the world’s leading digital coupon marketplace, today announced its expansion into Canada with the launch of RetailMeNot.ca (www.retailmenot.ca).
Canadians now have access to thousands of digital coupons from more than 6,000 retailers that do business with Canadians.
“This cross-border expansion of the RetailMeNot brand is part of our long-term commitment to become a trusted source of savings for online consumers globally,” said Cotter Cunningham, the CEO and founder of RetailMeNot, Inc. “We’re excited to enter the Canadian market so we can help millions of shoppers save money using digital coupons available online at RetailMeNot.ca and enable our retail partners in the region to boost their sales.”
Canadians should expect continued innovation to help consumers find our best digital coupons and save money while shopping online and eventually in-store. Features of RetailMeNot.ca include:
- Easy search access to 21,000+ digital coupons from more than 6,000 retailers shipping to Canadian consumers;
- The functionality to easily toggle back and forth between RetailMeNot.ca (Canada) and RetailMeNot.com (U.S.);
- The ability to browse for digital coupons by product category, including clothing, electronics, furniture and travel;
- The opportunity for Canadian consumers to upload digital coupons from retailers that can help others save; and
- The option to subscribe to the RetailMeNot.ca newsletter, with digital coupon content that rivals any weekly newspaper flyer.
“RetailMeNot.com already has millions of visits from Canadians who trust our site to help them find savings when shopping online,” says Josh Harding, the vice president of global operations for RetailMeNot, Inc. “The new RetailMeNot.ca site will enhance these users’ experience by focusing exclusively on the needs of the Canadian consumer.”
RetailMeNot.com (www.retailmenot.ca) is a new digital coupon site in Canada. Our mission is to help consumers save money and enjoy a hassle-free discount shopping experience with retailers in Canada. RetailMeNot.ca will actively promote digital coupons from thousands of retailers that do business with Canadians. RetailMeNot.ca is operated by RetailMeNot, Inc., the world’s leading marketplace for digital coupons.
Make sure to “like” RetailMeNot.ca on Facebook, follow us via Twitter @retailmenotca and add us on Google+. Consumers can sign up for RetailMeNot.ca’s Online Coupons Newsletter by visiting: http://www.retailmenot.ca/signup.